Thursday, November 20, 2014

100 Watt Inverter Circuit Schematic using Pulse Width Modulator IC SG3525 (my review)



100 Watt Inverter Circuit Schematic using Pulse Width Modulator IC SG3525

                                  (my review)

 Here's a nice little gem that I found on the circuitsgallery.com web site, designed by Khaleel.

 

 
12v to 230v Inverter Circuit Schematic using Pulse Width Modulator IC SG3525 by Khaleel

Fairly straightforward, and fairly easy to build. You have to watch for a few resistors that are 1/2 watt, some capacitors have strange terminology, and some of the symbols are explained in the text portion. So, be sure to review the article if you want to build this one.

 

I currently have this one running on the breadboard.

 

The design calls for a 12-0-12, 5 Amp transformer, but I only have a 4 Amp transformer, so mine is not quite to specifications. However, it still works. The Rt is adjustable if it is replaced with a preset or potentiometer. That adjustment was necessary (for me), due to my 4 Amp transformer. At any rate, the final result was that I was able to adjust to the 60 Hz frequency using a 4 Amp transformer and adjusting Rt as a potentiometer. (The 4 Amp transformer requires less resistance at Rt.)

 

The Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) automatically adjusts for powering devices with various power needs. I currently have it running from the breadboard, but I suspect I may build it with two outlets, or otherwise I would suspect that I should be able to use an extension cord with lights of various voltages.

 

Let me see, the only drawback of a circuit this straightforward is that the waveform is not a sine wave form, nor a modified sine wave form. Which means, it may be a bit harsh to use on sensitive electronic devices. I would only use it for lights.

 

Still, I am short on emergency lighting, and need some practice adding things like a fan and some circuit protection. So, I intend to build a finished version of this little one, simply for those reasons. 

 

Nicely done, Khaleel. I suspect this would be a quick build for most folks. This could be useful for emergency lighting, or for lighting the workshop. Thanks.

   

Reference:  

12v to 230v Inverter Circuit Schematic using Pulse Width Modulator IC SG3525

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment